Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Hale (NH #30)

After finding some breakfast, the drive down Zealand road was uneventful ... and familiar.  I drove down the same dirt road when summiting Mount Zealand last year.  The clouds still completely covered the sky and figured it would stay that way.

I sat in the parking lot for about 30 minutes.  I had just ate some steak and eggs (advertised as a ny strip but, was more than likely a flank steak) and was a bit sore/tired after hiking up Carrigain and lacking sleep the night before.  I watched 3 seperate groups of hikers leaving the trailhead to summit Hale as I contemplated sleeping a bit.  Hesitantly, I decided ... if I don't go now, I won't go at all.  So, I headed up to bag my 30th of the 48 summits I seek.

The trail to the summit is a relatively short at two point two miles.  Knowning this, I figured there would be a very consistant incline all the way to the top.  It was, but it never really go to the point of me saying ... "f this" ... which did cross my mind about a quater of a mile up.  (I was just tired :))

In any case, I continued climbing, and noticed some moose crap on the trail.  I then noticed some more ... and then again, and again.  Finally, and reluctantly I took a photo. (below)
Yup...Moose crap looks like brown 'grape tomatoes'.

Moving on, based upon what I've read from other hikers, the views from the summit would be less than stellar regarless of the clouds, and I then decided I'd dub this the "moose crap" hike!  Yay!

I arrived on the summit just past twelve, took 3-4 quick pictures and turned right back down.  A quick shot of the summit cairn is shown next.

The clouds cleared a bit and I managed to grab this shot ... though, I'm not sure which summit it is. (Tom? Jackson?) Whatevas ... 

I cruised on down, stopping only to talk too two different couples I passed on the way down, that I also passed on my way up.  They were very nice and I believe they both said they lived in southern New Hampshire.

30~

No comments:

Post a Comment